This historical building was erescted between 1805, and after the stadhuis ( now Jakarta History Museum), is the second oldest building on Fatahillah Square. Over the years it has served variously as a residence, warehouse, office and more recently as a coffee shop and Art Gallery.
The upstairs Grand Salon, constucted entirely of Java teak wood, was added in the late 19th century. The building’s original masonary facade is the best viewed from this room.
Steel was used in the building for the first time during its 1992 – 1993 restoration. The glass concervatory was added at this time, completing a return to the cafe’s 1937 elegance
Cafe Batavia upstairs Churchill Bar was included in the Newsweek magazine’s “ The World’s Best Bars” supplement on October 31, 1994 and again on October 21, 1996